EcoVillage Farm Learning Center, a project of Earth Island Institute, is a non-for-profit organization, which was founded in 2002 by its current Executive Director, Shyaam M. Shabaka.
Our mission is to create a healthy sustainable environment and socially/economically just society for present and future generations. EcoVillage Farm Learning Center is a place where urban residents of all cultural backgrounds feel welcome and come to learn through (participatory) “mind/hands on” activities how to restore and protect Mother Earth and her people.
EcoVillage Farm Learning Center is an “Oasis of Connectivity” in the City of Richmond, a city that is often perceived of as a food, safety and environment desert. Yes! A Farm in Richmond!
We offer “kids” of all ages (8-80) the opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills needed to become environmental and social change agents and/or just engage with nature for the “fun of it.”
Some of the wide range of “hands and minds on” activities, which EcoVillage Farm offers its participants include:
· Actively engaging with nature (i.e., learning how bees make honey, sheep shearing, caring for small farm animals, chicken, ducks, goats, sheep…)
· EcoVillage Farm Fresh Produce Market Stand, which bring affordable fresh fruits and vegetables to Richmond residents one day each week.
· Richmond Farm 2 Table Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program.
· Urban organic farming; we teach people how to grow their own food and to eat healthy.
· Responsible social living skills (conflict management, violence prevention)
· Community Service
· Internship at EcoVillage Farm
· Learning about alternative energy (solar, wind, bio-fuels, etc) and new Greening careers.
· School Tours
· Special Events
· Delta Watershed Education and Protection
We are working hard in collaboration with schools, youth, other residents, faith based and community organizations and local governments of Richmond and the Greater San Francisco East Bay to create a healthy environment and social economic just society.
EcoVillage Farm is located on approximately (6) six acres of semi-rural farmland in an urban area. The property has many qualities some of which consist of an orchard of fruit trees, two creeks (San Pablo and Wilkie), both with well developed riparian corridors, a wide variety of native/non-native trees and other vegetation. EcoVillage is also easily accessible by public transportation.